As a criminal lawyer in Hong Kong, Johnny specializes in Criminal Litigation. He has experience at all levels of the Courts and is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Crime Department. He has represented both individuals and companies in numerous cases investigated and prosecuted by various enforcement agencies including:-
The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)
The Commercial Crime Bureau (CCB)
The Securities and Futures Commission (SFC)
The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA)
The Immigration Department
The Customs & Excise Department
The Labour Department
The Hong Kong Police Force
Johnny is a trial advocate and regularly appears in the Magistrates’ Courts, the District Court and Disciplinary Tribunals. He has considerable experience in dealing with the Department of Justice concerning potential prosecutions. He also advises and accompanies individuals and company representatives who are filing reports to the Hong Kong Police.
In 2016, Johnny was appointed to the Criminal Law and Procedure Committee of The Law Society of Hong Kong, which reviews and advises on criminal laws and regulations proposed to be enacted and advises members on all procedural matters relating to criminal legal practice.
He has been recognized as a leading criminal lawyer by Doyles Guide.
Criminal & Commercial Crime, Regulatory Investigations & Proceedings
English, Cantonese, Mandarin
Qualifications & Education
Solicitor, Hong Kong (2008)
Solicitor, England and Wales (2013)
Member of Criminal Law and Procedure Committee of The Law Society of Hong Kong (2016)
Civil Celebrant, Hong Kong (2017)
Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), City University of Hong Kong
Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, City University of Hong Kong
Master of Laws in Criminology and Criminal Justice, London School of Economics
The Law Society of Hong Kong
The Law Society of England & Wales
CRIMINAL & COMMERCIAL CRIME
- Handling a multi-jurisdictional money laundering case of over US$300 million involving Hong Kong, Mainland China and United States of America.
- Defended clients who were charged with Money Laundering in L/C fraud cases. These cases were often cited by legal practitioners on the issue in relation to having “reasonable grounds to believe” – FAMC 28/2007; CACC 482/2010.
- Representing ex-government officials in a high profile criminal case in relation to Misconduct in Public Office – DCCC 761/2018.
- Acted for bank officers at the management level in the Lehman Brothers mini-bonds investigation conducted by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Obtaining urgent injunctive relief against individuals blocking the entrance of a popular Chinese newspaper company – HCA 2037/2014.
- Representing listed company directors from different jurisdictions (including Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Mauritius, Oman, Thailand, Indonesia and United States of America) in filing reports to the Hong Kong Police in relation to internet fraud, email fraud and other deception cases.
- Making successful applications to withdraw money from bank accounts which have been restrained by a Restraint Order issued by the Court.
- Handling multi-jurisdictional investigation carried out by the Customs & Excise Department in relation to import and export issues involving Hong Kong, Mainland China and the United Kingdom.