Andrew Lee has been with Robertsons for over twenty years. He is a partner in the Dispute Resolution Department, the Commercial Department and the Conveyancing team.
As a seasoned litigator, he has a wealth of experience in both commercial and criminal litigation. He has been an advocate on numerous interlocutory and injunction applications and has also acted on a wide range of regulatory matters, most notably in investigations by the Securities and Futures Commission and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
Andrew also represents several Hong Kong main board listed companies, large insurance and banking clients as well as high net worth individuals as their general legal counsel.
Aside from contentious matters, Andrew also acts on a wide range of securities and commercial matters, including representing issuers or their sponsors on their listing on the Main Board and Growth Enterprise Market of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
Andrew is a current member of the Standing Committee on Compliance of The Law Society of Hong Kong. The Committee is responsible for overseeing all compliance-related issues relating to solicitors’ practices in Hong Kong.
Outside of the profession, Andrew was an External Examiner for the PCLL Course at The City University of Hong Kong from 2010 to 2016.
Private Equity & Commercial, Insurance, Real Estate, Corporate Finance & Capital Markets, Wills, Trusts & Probate - Non Contentious, Wills, Trusts & Probate - Contentious, Family & Matrimonial Disputes, Banking & Finance - Non-Contentious, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property - Contentious
Qualifications & Education
Solicitor, Hong Kong (1990)
Solicitor, England & Wales (1991)
Solicitor, Canberra, Australia
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) (Hons), University of London, United Kingdom
The Law Society of Hong Kong
Law Society of England & Wales
Law Society of the Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Member, Law Society Standing Committee on Compliance
LITIGATION & DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- Acted for a major distributor of beverage products in Hong Kong in a case brought by the Customs Department of the Hong Kong Government involving dutiable commodities. This case remains the leading case on the Hong Kong Bill of Rights. After this case, it became established law that, whilst the prosecution does not have to prove knowledge in a strict liability offence, it will be a defence for the accused to prove, on a balance of probabilities, that it had an honest and reasonable belief of compliance with the requisite legal requirements (HCMA000604/1994);
- Leading a team advising three major banks in Hong Kong on investigations by The Hong Kong Monetary Authority and the Securities and Futures Commission concerning the alleged mis-selling of Lehman Brothers related investment products.
- Leading a team to advise an Insurance Company (a joint venture between 5 renowned financial institutions) to proceed a claim against staffs misappropriating funds belonging to the company, which includes the taking out of a mavera injunction order to freeze the assets of the Defendants, and the taking out of Norwich Pharmical Discovery Orders to proceed with the tracing claim on the misappropriated funds.
PRIVATE EQUITY & COMMERCIAL
- Leading a team to advise a Hong Kong main board listed company in the purchase of a renowned chain of regional coffee shops. Also advised the same company in the sale of the coffee shop chain to a PRC State Company.
- Advising a Hong Kong main board listed company on its joint venture with a western restaurants chain to become the biggest western restaurants chain in Hong Kong (with over 40 restaurants) after the joint venture.
- Advised a main board listed company in the sale of its shares by the major shareholder which led to the making of a general offer to shareholders under The Hong Kong Code on Takeovers and Mergers.
- Leading a team to advise a main board listed company in the acquisition of a company holding landed properties in the PRC which transaction was classified as a major acquisition of the company.
CORPORATE FINANCE & CAPITAL MARKETS
- Leading a team in representing issuers or their sponsors on their listing on the Main Board and Growth Enterprise Market of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited. Recent successful listings include: - Food Wise Holdings Limited (Stock Code: 1632), Anchorstone Holdings Limited (Stock Code: 1592) and Best Linking Group Holdings Limited (Stock Code: 8617).