For urgent Criminal Law advice including arrests in Hong Kong, please contact our Hong Kong Criminal Lawyer Kevin Steel on +852 9037 0333.
Kevin is a criminal law specialist who has practiced criminal law, including fraud, financial crime and defence cases for individuals and corporations in Hong Kong for the last twenty eight years. He joined Robertsons in 1994 and heads the firm’s Corporate Crime Unit.
As a Hong Kong criminal lawyer, Kevin has defended numerous high profile cases prosecuted by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) and Commercial Crime Bureau (CCB). He also regularly undertakes defence work in Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) investigations and prosecutions as well as acting in immigration, taxation and customs and excise cases. Kevin is well known for getting the job done and has a reputation for being able to negotiate with authorities.
He is recommended in the Corporate Crime Section of the Asia Pacific Legal 500, for Hong Kong. He also sits on the Criminal Law and Procedure Committee of the Law Society of Hong Kong and is generally recognized as one of the leading lawyers in his field.
Kevin conducts trials, mitigations and bail applications and has defended clients in the Magistrates Courts, High Court, Court of Appeal and Court of Final Appeal.
Kevin has strong international ties and is an active member of professional associations such as INBLF. Kevin has also acted for clients in Hong Kong who are subject to U.S. based FCPA investigations.
Kevin is extremely knowledgeable about computer and technology crimes, and has successfully defended computer crime charges, as well as frequently acting and advising corporations who are the victims of computer crimes.
Kevin is also capable of putting together a team of top forensic experts when required to defend or investigate all kinds of computer frauds.
We are available to advise on any investigations, appear at court or trials involving the Hong Kong Authorities
- Hong Kong Police
- Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)
- Commercial Crime Bureau (CCB)
- Securities and Future Commission (SFC)
- Customs and Excise Department (C&ED)
- Immigration Department (ID)
- Acting for a bank advising on a high profile double murder investigation and subsequent trial.
- Leading a 10 men Defence team in respect of an ICAC investigation of a director of a red chip listed company suspected of having offered advantages in breach of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance.
- Leading a local team in relation to several Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations and conducting an investigation and interview of employees suspected of bribing a mainland Chinese official.
- Acting for a prominent Hong Kong barrister accused of perverting the course of justice and disclosing information to the press: CACC 248/2006, FACC 3/2009
- Successfully defending a director in a Takeovers and Mergers Panel prosecution of an alleged concert party arrangement.
- Defending the vice president of an international bank accused of a multi-million dollar theft - DCCC 949/2006.
- Acting for a Hong Kong company accountant who was acquitted in the first criminal prosecution under the Securities and Futures Ordinance concerning market manipulation.
- Successfully defending dishonest access to computer cases.
- Recently successfully defending rape allegation in High Court.
- Successfully reporting fraudsters for companies and recovering the proceeds of crimes in computer email frauds.
- Criminal Law
- Speaks English & Cantonese
- L.L.B. Northumbria University
- Solicitor, Hong Kong (1991)
- Solicitor, England and Wales (1992)