Chris is the Managing Partner of Robertsons and also the head of its Private Equity and Commercial Department.
He has been advising on mergers and acquisitions, funds and corporate law in Hong Kong for the last three decades.
Chris also handles a wide range of securities and compliance matters, particularly for SFC registered intermediaries, and works with players across the fintech sector on legal and regulatory issues on their products and offerings.
For many years, Chris has advised both private and listed company boards - as well as individual directors - on all forms of compliance matters, including fiduciary and statutory duties, the conduct of meetings and general issues of corporate governance. He also represents minority shareholders concerned with corporate misfeasance.
He has considerable experience in the financial services’ sector, advising on service conditions and benefits for senior management, as well as the enforceability of post termination covenants.
Chris is a frequent speaker on directors’ duties and responsibilities as well as a wide range of issues relating to Hong Kong company law.
Chris sits on the The Law Society of Hong Kong’s Working Party on the Incorporation of Solicitors’ Practice.
English, French, German, Cantonese, Mandarin
Qualifications & Education
Solicitor, England & Wales (1990)
Solicitor, Hong Kong (1991)
Solicitor, Australia (1993)
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) (Hons), University of Birmingham, England
Diplome Superieur de Francais des Affaires - Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie de Paris
The Law Society of Hong Kong
Law Society of England & Wales
Law Society of New South Wales, Australia
Former National Presidential Delegate of the International Association of Young Lawyers
Member, The Law Society of Hong Kong Working Party on Incorporation of Solicitors Practices
Member, Hong Kong Securities and Investment Institute
Fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Directors
PRIVATE EQUITY & COMMERCIAL
- Acted as lead counsel on two separate Management Buy Outs of regional satellite operators and equipment distributors.
- Advised Stock Exchange participant brokers on both the buy and sell sides of disposals/acquisitions of their regional businesses, including procuring the relevant regulatory consents.
- Represented a Hong Kong based property fund in negotiations with debt instrument holders and a restructuring to a new fund with a debt/equity swap.
- Acted as Hong Kong counsel on a billion dollar leveraged buyout of an international pharmaceutical organisational, including relevant security documentation and whitewash procedures.
- Acting for minority shareholders and minority representation on boards of directors in statutory and common law powers against the board of directors to force production of exercising documents in connection with the misfeasance of controlling shareholders.
- Advising boards of Hong Kong main board listed corporations on corporate governance issues including the setting up and operation of audit, remuneration and nominations committees, as well as working with management in preparation for shareholders’ annual and extraordinary general meetings.
- Provided due diligence, structuring and financing advice on a private equity acquisition of a regional group providing trading platforms and related products.
- Representing several fintech businesses on their Hong Kong compliance issues.