Avinash began his legal career as a trainee solicitor at Robertsons and is now an associate working in Robertsons’ Corporate & Commercial department as well as the firm’s Dispute Resolution department.
Within the Corporate & Commercial department, Avinash works in the firm’s general commercial, M&A and financial regulatory teams.
Within the Dispute Resolution department, Avinash primarily works on commercial disputes.
With the increasing amounts of fintech innovations making their way to Hong Kong, Avinash has been part of Robertsons’ technology team advising fintech innovators on legal and regulatory issues related to fundraising and their product offerings.
Avinash is passionate about advancing the interests of Hong Kong’s ethnic minority community and was nominated by the Hong Kong Government to serve as a member of the Hong Kong Government’s Committee on the Promotion of Racial Harmony.
English, Hindi, Sindhi, French
Qualifications & Education
Solicitor, Hong Kong (2016)
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), University of Kent, Canterbury
Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL), City University of Hong Kong
The Law Society of Hong Kong
Committee for the Promotion of Racial Harmony, Hong Kong SAR Government
- Acting for and advising a HK based startup in respect of its US$26 million ICO (Initial Coin Offering) involving development and launch of a cryptocurrency backed credit and debit card.
- Acting for and advised a France based startup in respect of its US$13 million ICO involving development of facial recognition software based on blockchain technology.
- Acting for and advising a Hong Kong based fintech company on structuring and launching an online P2P lending platform specifically targeted towards homeowners in Hong Kong.
- Advising the creators of a cryptocurrency based stored value facility on its operations within Hong Kong.
- Acting for and advising a Europe based digital bank on its application for a money services operator licence
PRIVATE EQUITY & COMMERCIAL
- Advised a global beauty company based out of the USA on its corporate restructuring following its acquisition of a competitor’s business valued at US$12.5 billion
- Assisting in advising one of Asia’s leading DTH satellite pay-TV services in respect of US$6 million debt and equity investment being made in the company and also in respect of reporting requirements under the Telecommunications Ordinance (Cap.106)
- Advising a US business on its acquisition of a prominent manufacturer of various lighting products, also based out of the US.
- Acting for and advising one of the world’s top 10 event marketing agencies on acquisition of a stake in its business by a large multinational media and digital marketing communications company based out of the UK
LITIGATION & DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- Assisted with leading a team acting for one set of shareholders of an iconic multi-million dollar bar, lounge and restaurant originating from Singapore in a shareholders’ dispute including successfully obtaining mareva injunctive relief in respect of allegations concerning, inter alia, fraud and misappropriation of funds including pursuing Norwich Pharmacal disclosure orders and various interlocutory injunction orders (HCA 183/2014).